Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Scotland's Favorite Son

It's Robbie Burns Day! Thus a post to honor Scotland's favorite son, Poet Robert Burns:

I took this photograph at the Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow. It is an oil painting by Thomas Faed called "Highland Mary".
It depicts an imaginary meeting of Mary Campbell and the poet Robert Burns, the author of Auld Lang Syne. She was to have accompanied him to the West Indies, but her premature death cut short their courtship.



O my luve's like a red, red rose.
That's newly sprung in June;
O my luve's like a melodie
That's sweetly play'd in tune.
As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will love thee still, my Dear,
Till a'the seas gang dry.
Till a' the seas gang dry, my Dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun:
I will luve thee still, my Dear,
While the sands o'life shall run.
And fare thee weel my only Luve!
And fare thee weel a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' it were ten thousand mile!
~Robert Burns

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy birthday to robbie!!! and thank you for letting us know -- i, otherwise, would have been quite unaware.

if you do come to portland one day, and you'd like to know of the other haunted places, do let me know and i'll give you a list. that is just one of many documented places.

xx

Laura said...

Thank you! I will definitely email you when I get up that way. Love to find ghostly haunts!