Friday, January 28, 2011

Instant Relatives


For years now I have collected vintage images. It all started with a purchase of this particular French Risqué postcard from 1903:

From that one purchase came a desire to root around in dusty stacks of unknown faces, some yellowing with age, some scarred by time. I wonder of their stories, what tragedies did they witness, what love did they experience. I find that the photograph usually chooses me.  Here are a few of my more recent finds:
As soon as I saw this one I knew these little rascals would be coming home with me. One of the boys reminded me of Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter and another of Ron Weasley. Can you guess which ones?

I love this portrait of three siblings, dressed in uniforms. The girl is portraying Mignon, a gypsy from a popular Opera during the time. I have dozens of images of Edwardian women and girls portraying Mignon and are among the favorites of my collections.

She's so fashionable, what with a dead animal over her shoulder and all, but she seems so bored with her life. Perhaps she dreams of escaping to a more exotic land.

I also like to collect images to use in digital art and to share with other artists. I have many vintage images that you can use for free in your artwork in my DeviantArt Gallery. Here is a sample of one that is available for download:
I love collecting anything that depicts the fashion of the time and wedding photographs are a perfect example!


And finally, an image I created recently for the cover of a blurb book I'm putting together called My Secret Garden.

Maybe sometime, fifty years from now, someone will collect images of us and we'll become their instant relatives. Ya just never know! :)


8 comments:

Nichole Renee said...

I love your creativity! I would have passed by all those old photos and never thought of their potential!

You really do offer so much inspiration!! ((Hugs))

Gail Dixon said...

I came over here from your Flickr link. What a great collection you have! Whenever I go into antique stores I always wonder why family photos end up there. Kinda sad...

Samuli said...

This is such an interesting collection!

May I ask where have you found these images? I don't think I've ever come across old photographs in Finnish flea markets or antique shops... then again, it might be a cultural thing.

Also, I really, REALLY think that there's a cool, interweaving collection of short stories just waiting to be written about these images (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge :))

Destiny said...

This is one of my favorite post! I am so surprised you find these items for sale. I can't imagine parting with my photos.

I think Ron and Neville were the two on the second row of the pyramid. The lady with the animal around her neck reminded me of the "minx" wrap my mother had. I use to play dress up with it. I wouldn't have anything to do with such a garment now.

Amy Knutkowski said...

I know just what you mean! I always wonder who these people were and what their lives were like. This will probably sound weird, but I love using them in my art because I feel like I can give them new life. Like they've been sitting in a dusty old box or album for years and have just been waiting to come out and play again.

Now I just need to find a way to get myself up early enough to scour the flea market. lol!

Laura said...

Thanks everyone! I agree, as artists we can give them new life! How cool is that?

Nichole: I'm glad I can inspire you! Can't wait to see what you do!

Louisiana Belle: Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! I hope you found some inspiration here!

Alex: You guessed right on the boys! My grandma had a fox wrap that always freaked me out. It had beady little eyes that always scared me,lol.

Samuli: I actually have thought about a short story for the pyramid of boys! I will definitely have to create a future post for that. I've gotten most of the images either at markets around England or at antique stores in Kansas and Florida. I do get some off eBay.

Amy: I love what you do with your vintage images. You are always inspiring me!

Missy Trent said...

Hey girlfriend!
You are always so good about posting on my blog! Me...I'm always rushing to get something done and never seem to get around to blogland like I used to. I'm still trying to adjust to CHANGE and a new routine!
Just know that I DO read your beautiful blog and I'm so very lucky to know the beautiful soul behind it. I also get to hang out with you SOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!
Can't wait!
Love you bunches, Missy

Laura said...

Thanks Missy!
You're so sweet! Your adjusting well! Love your newest art! Can't wait to see you! Countin' down the days!
xoxo