Friday, December 16, 2011

Healthy Recipe: Honeycrisp Apple Salad Stack

In the most recent store magazine for The Fresh Market I found a recipe for a Honeycrisp Apple Salad Stack which looked so delicious, I picked up the ingredients and promptly made it for lunch! It was so yummy and I thought I would share it all with you. It was easy to make and packed full of healthy flavor.

Honeycrisp Apple Salad Stack

Ingredients:
    Salad


  • 2 Honeycrisp Apples, thinly sliced


  • 2 pears, thinly sliced


  • 1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced


  • 1 cup baby arugula leaves


  • 4 ounces blue cheese
    Dressing


  • 2 cups water


  • 1 lemon, juiced


  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar


  • 1/4 cup olive oil


  • 1/2 teaspoon salt


  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Preparation:
In a large bowl, combine water and juice of one lemon. Thinly slice the apples, pear and fennel and place the slices in lemon-water immediately after to avoid oxidation. To make the vinaigrette, whisk together dressing ingredients. Stack the sliced fruits, layering blue cheese and arugula between pieces and garnish with arugula leaves. Drizzle vinaigrette over top. Salt and pepper to taste.

I skipped the lemon-water as I wasn't making a bunch of them, just one for me. I also just topped it with olive oil instead of making the dressing and it was just the right amount of added flavor. I can see this being a wonderful light lunch to serve or even cutting the size in half and serving them as appetizers. Either way, this recipe is a keeper!

2 comments:

Destiny said...

Sounds yummy! I love the "Fresh Market. I'm not good at picking out pears so I would have to stick w/ just apples.

Luke A. Bunker said...

Laura, this looks wonderful!!