Friday, April 25, 2008

The Maple Leaf Rag

It's been a while since I have had a chance to even sit down and breathe, let alone write in my blog. Now that I have re-caught that dreaded cold I have no choice but to slow down.

So, I stopped and I sat at my piano today and played a quick "Memories". For some reason, it's one of the only songs I remember from all the ones I learned as a child.

I can still play a boogie or two but not much is in the old memory vault after that.

One of the activities on my list of "things to do in this life" is to learn the Maple Leaf Rag by Scott Joplin. It has always been my favorite ragtime ditty, ever since first hearing it played on the old piano player at The Long Branch Saloon in my home town of Dodge City. I still have the sheet music after all these years but never got around to learning it.


I can't play by ear, never have, never will. I have to read the music and therein lies the difficult part. How much about reading the music have I retained? I may have to actually hire a piano teacher again! My piano teacher was a "little people" with red hair and tons of freckles. I was always amazed that she could play the piano with those tiny, stubby little fingers of hers. I don't remember her name anymore, but I do remember she was nice to me and when your a little kid, that counts for something!!

My nephew Seth will be here to visit me in June and he loves to play the piano so maybe he will be the motivation I need to finally learn my favorite piano song.


How to Sight Read Music - wikiHow

1 comment:

Lita said...

Maple Leaf Rag? I don't believe I've ever heard that song before ...

Do you know chopsticks? I think everyone who's ever played the piano learned that simple song ... I knew it once but forgot. Maybe we can play around for a couple of seconds before we head out tomorrow :)