Saturday, January 17, 2009

Biking in the 'Glades

I had so much fun today with my friend Lisa, riding bikes 15 miles through Shark Valley in the Everglades. It was mid-morning so there were tons of gators sunning themselves everywhere including on the road.
The wind was crazy hard and I had a tough time pedaling the last 8 miles on my beach cruiser, while carrying my backpack full of lenses and with a basket full of stuff on the front of the bike. But, I made it and am feeling the burn tonight as I type this.
The wildlife was plentiful...Egrets and Herons, including Great and Little Blue's, Woodstorks and Ibis including the Glossy variety which I wanted to get a shot of but they were too far away.
There were Black Vultures and Turkey Buzzards and one very large Peregrin Falcon that swooped along side of us with such beauty and grace.
Although it was fairly dry, the signs of the forthcoming season of Spring were popping up. Green leaves peering out from otherwise dead branches and blooming Thistles showing off their perfectly rounded flowers in proud glory.
It was a day focused more on riding and conversation than photography but I did manage to come home with a few prized shots. And, I found a new place to retreat to when I am in need of nature.

No comments: